banner

Foreign Secretary Jaishankar provides suggestions to Pakistan for expediting 26/11 probe


India willing to share Mumbai trial evidence with Pakistan FO

The Indian Foreign Secretary, in his letter of 6th September 2016, expressed India’s readiness in reply to his Pakistani counterpart’s letter, dated 8th September 2015, a foreign office spokesperson said on Friday. Zafar was arrested in August by the Pakistani Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).

Over 160 people were killed in the attack after 10 terrorists wielding guns and other weapons entered Mumbai through the Arabian Sea. “He transferred Rs 14,800 in a bank account and during investigation said he transferred the said money to his brother’s account”. In a letter that he wrote to his counterpart Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry earlier this month, Jaishankar said “the entire strike was planned from Pakistan, was carried out by Pakistani nationals and all evidence are in Pakistan”. “But, eight years have pas sed and the trial is happening at a snail’s pace”, he said. “We want to bring the case to a conclusion”, Swarup told the media. He suggested cooperation through legal channels as one way of ensuring that the perpetrators of the attack are brought to justice.

India had raised the human rights violations committed by Pakistani forces in Balochistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) while lashing out at Pakistan at the 33rd session of UN Human Rights Council at Geneva on Wednesday.

Six accused – Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hammad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younus Anjum – have been lodged in Rawalpindi’s Adiyala Jail since 2009, for abetment to murder, attempted murder and planning and executing the 26/11 terror attacks.

This comes after Pakistan had sought “additional evidence” from India.