Chris Evans has announced that he will no longer be presenting the new version of Top Gear once season one is over.
“I have never worked with a more committed and drive team than the team I worked with over the last twelve months”, he said.
Director Mark Linsey remains upbeat about the show’s success, however.
Evans said he would continue with his Radio 2 show and other projects including CarFest, Children In Need and 500 Words.
The Warrington-born presenter said he had given it “my best shot but sometimes that’s not enough”.
However, the new Top Gear failed to win over viewers following its return to TV screens in May (16), and it ended its latest season with the lowest audience of its current series, according to figures released by the BBC. Even with all the hype leading up to the long-awaited return of the show an average of just 4.3 million United Kingdom viewers watched the opening episode.
Chris Evans will not be replaced on Top Gear after quitting as host on Monday.
It is also believed Evans’s decision to leave was his alone, and that he told the BBC last week that he was stepping down, saying he was not a good fit for the programme.
Racing driver Sabine Schmitz, YouTube star Chris Harris, F1 star Eddie Jordan, motoring journalist Rory Reid and The Stig are all still in the presenting team.
Chris Evans is resigning from his role as lead presenter of the BBC’s Top Gear television program following harsh criticism from viewers and a severe ratings drop, the broadcaster’s news arm reported July 4.
Regardless, we wish Chris the best of luck in the future!
“Top Gear”, filled with stunts, road tests, adventures and experiments, has featured his auto collection in a previous series.
The vehicle show has achieved disappointing ratings, and was marred in controversy before it even aired its first episode.
Top Gear was the hosts – and with Clarkson, Hammond and May gone it just didn’t work.
“Top Gear” is undergoing a major shake-up again after losing longtime host Jeremy Clarkson past year.